Look at me. I thought it was all going to fall into my lap didn’t I? I should have known better.
There were plenty of things I assumed I would be good at, as soon as I hit some magic age.
Things I assumed I’d be good at by the time I was an adult:
- Meeting new people
- Paying bills on time and knowing what all the charges are for
- Understanding taxes
- Voting for the best political party
- Exercising twice a week
- Effortlessly maintaining a loving relationship
Things I am good at:
- Getting embarrassed, even when new people are very nice
- Paying bills blindly, assuming companies know what they are doing
- Ignoring taxes
- Voting for the party I think sound nicest
- Swimming when the mood takes me
- Forgetting why it’s important to pay attention to your relationship sometimes
- Wishing I was better at writing
It seems these things do not come automatically with age.
It seems I will have to work hard on them if I want to improve.